Cast Your Care Upon Him

“Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”
1 Peter 5:7 (KJV)

We quote this verse often.

“Give it to God.”

“Cast your cares on Jesus.”

And sometimes we genuinely do.

We pray:

“Lord, I give You my family.”

“I give You this relationship.”

“I give You my health.”

“I give You my finances.”

“I give You my future.”

“I give You this situation I cannot fix.”

Then five minutes later, we pick the whole thing back up.

We start replaying every possibility.

What if this happens?

What if that happens?

What am I going to do tomorrow?

How am I going to fix this?

And suddenly the burden we placed before God is sitting on our shoulders again.

Perhaps the question isn't simply whether we've prayed about it.

The deeper question is:

Do we trust Him enough to leave it there?


Casting Means Getting the Burden Off of You

Peter doesn't tell us merely to acknowledge our cares.

He says:

“Casting all your care upon him...”

The picture is one of placing the burden onto another.

That's important because sometimes we pray while continuing to carry everything ourselves.

We tell God about the burden without actually surrendering it.

We say:

“God, I'm giving this to You.”

But internally we're saying:

“And now let me explain exactly how You need to fix it.”

That's where surrender becomes difficult.

Because casting our cares upon God means releasing not only the burden, but also our demand to control the outcome.


You Can't Surrender to Someone You Don't Trust

At the heart of surrender is trust.

You won't willingly place something precious into someone's hands if you don't believe those hands can be trusted.

And many of the things we're worried about are precious to us.

Our children.

Our marriages.

Our health.

Our finances.

Our careers.

Our futures.

People we love.

Dreams we've carried for years.

So when God asks us to surrender them, He's touching areas where we feel especially vulnerable.

Faith says:

“Father, I don't know what's going to happen, but I know who You are.”

That's very different from:

“God, I trust You because I'm confident You'll give me the outcome I want.”

Biblical trust doesn't require knowing the outcome.

It rests in knowing God.


God Never Promised the Outcome You Want

This distinction matters.

Casting your cares upon God doesn't mean:

“Give it to God and everything will work out exactly how you hoped.”

Scripture doesn't promise that.

Sometimes God changes the circumstances.

Sometimes He changes us within the circumstances.

Sometimes He opens the door.

Sometimes He closes it.

Sometimes He answers immediately.

Sometimes He tells us to wait.

And sometimes His answer isn't the one we wanted.

Faith isn't trusting God to fulfill our plan.

Faith is trusting God when His plan differs from ours.

“Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.”
Proverbs 3:5 (KJV)

If I only trust God when I understand Him, I'm still leaning heavily on my own understanding.

Real trust becomes visible when I can say:

“Lord, I don't understand this—but I still trust You.”


Jesus Said Tomorrow Has Enough Trouble of Its Own

Jesus addressed our tendency to live mentally in tomorrow.

“Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself...”
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)

Tomorrow has bills.

Tomorrow has appointments.

Tomorrow has decisions.

Tomorrow may have difficult conversations.

Tomorrow contains things you cannot predict.

And that's exactly why worrying about tomorrow today is so exhausting.

You're attempting to carry responsibilities that haven't even arrived yet.

Jesus isn't teaching irresponsibility.

He's teaching dependence.

In Matthew 6, He points His listeners toward the birds.

God feeds them.

He points toward the lilies.

God clothes them.

Then He reminds His followers:

“...for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.”
Matthew 6:32 (KJV)

There is the foundation beneath our peace:

Your Father knows.


Worry Says, “I Need to Know”

Worry says:

“I don't know what's going to happen, so I need to figure everything out.”

Faith says:

“I don't know what's going to happen, but my Father does.”

Worry says:

“I need to control this.”

Faith says:

“I'll faithfully handle what God has placed in my hands and trust Him with what He hasn't.”

Worry says:

“What if?”

Faith responds:

“Even if, God will still be God.”

That doesn't mean fear will never return.

It probably will.

Sometimes you'll surrender something in the morning and discover you're worrying about it again by lunch.

When that happens, surrender it again.

“Father, I'm carrying this again.”

“I gave this to You.”

“Show me what I need to do today, and help me trust You with tomorrow.”

Sometimes surrender isn't a one-time moment.

It's a daily practice.


Trust Doesn't Mean Doing Nothing

Casting our cares upon God isn't permission to neglect our responsibilities.

You can trust God and still make a budget.

Trust God and go to the doctor's appointment.

Trust God and have the difficult conversation.

Trust God and apply for the job.

Trust God and seek wise counsel.

Trust God and make responsible plans.

The difference is that you stop believing everything ultimately depends upon you.

Scripture says:

“A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps.”
Proverbs 16:9 (KJV)

Plan.

Prepare.

Work.

Obey.

But leave room for God to be God.


Why Can We Trust Him?

Peter doesn't simply command:

“Cast your cares upon Him.”

He gives us the reason:

“...for he careth for you.”

Those words change everything.

You're not throwing your burden into empty space.

You're giving it to Someone who cares for you.

God isn't irritated by your need.

He isn't surprised by your circumstances.

He isn't unaware of what tomorrow contains.

And if you ever question whether God truly cares for you, look at the cross.

Because the Gospel gives us the greatest demonstration of His love.


The Gospel: The Cross Proves His Love

Our greatest burden was never our finances, health, relationships, or uncertain future.

Our greatest problem was sin.

“For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;”
Romans 3:23 (KJV)

Every one of us has sinned against a holy God.

And sin carries a consequence:

“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”
Romans 6:23 (KJV)

We couldn't fix that problem ourselves.

No amount of worrying could solve it.

No amount of good works could erase our guilt.

No amount of religion could make us righteous.

So God did for us what we could never do for ourselves.

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, lived the sinless life we failed to live.

Then He willingly went to the cross.

“But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”
Romans 5:8 (KJV)

Jesus died for our sins.

He was buried.

And on the third day, He rose again.

He conquered sin and death.

Salvation is not earned through our works. It is received by grace through faith in Jesus Christ.

“That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
Romans 10:9 (KJV)

When anxiety makes you wonder whether God cares, remember Calvary.

The cross has already answered that question.

He cares.


A Call to Repentance

Sometimes beneath our anxiety is something deeper:

We want control.

We don't simply want God to carry the burden.

We want to supervise how He carries it.

We want God to take care of tomorrow while giving us today's complete explanation of how He's going to do it.

But surrender says:

“Not my will, but thine.”

Maybe you've been trusting your ability to control circumstances more than you've been trusting God.

Bring that before Him.

Maybe anxiety has consumed your thoughts to the point that you've forgotten who your Father is.

Come back.

Maybe you've prayed about something repeatedly, but you've never genuinely surrendered the outcome.

Open your hands.

Repent of self-reliance.

Ask God for wisdom concerning what you actually need to do today.

Then entrust everything beyond that to Him.


Conclusion: Leave It There

Maybe you've already prayed about it.

Maybe you've already given it to God.

Then fear returned.

And now you're carrying it again.

You don't have to condemn yourself.

Cast it again.

When worry returns:

“Father, I gave this to You.”

When another hypothetical enters your mind:

“Father, You already know tomorrow.”

When you're tempted to control something beyond your responsibility:

“Father, show me what belongs in my hands and help me leave the rest in Yours.”

That's surrender.

Not knowing what tomorrow holds.

Not knowing exactly how everything will work out.

Not receiving guarantees about the outcome.

But knowing who holds tomorrow.

And knowing something even more personal:

He cares for you.

“Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”
1 Peter 5:7 (KJV)

So make the plans you need to make.

Handle today's responsibilities.

Pray.

Obey.

Take the next faithful step.

But don't carry tomorrow before tomorrow arrives.

Cast the burden on Him. And when you're tempted to pick it back up, remember why you can leave it there: the God who holds your future is the same God who gave His Son to save you. He cares for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We in Satan's Little Season? A Scriptural Rebuttal to Preterist Claims

The Rise of the Remnant: God’s Hidden Army for the Final Hour

Forged Through The Fire